Dinner time is a stressful time in my house. Kenna is usually mega-cranky, and I have food to cook and prepare by the time my husband gets home (he wouldn’t mind if I didn’t, but I like making sure he’s got something to eat right away). I usually love cooking vegan meals, but listening to a crying infant makes dinner prep a lot less exciting, to say the least.
Tonight I tossed some pre-made chicken in the oven for Jonathan and cooked him some pilaf – which he LOVES. But I always wonder what to make for myself…
Any meal that takes less than a half hour is a winner for me. I have been experimenting with new grains and legumes lately, one of which is couscous! Believe it or not, I’d never had couscous before tonight. Imagine my surprise when I saw that it only takes 5 minutes to cook!
Needless to say, I had whipped up a delicious meal in no time flat.
This stir fry makes about 3 servings, with plenty of couscous to spare for another meal later in the week; or, just double your veggie mix and make 6 servings!
- One box of NearEast Original Couscous (it made way too much for me and my daughter, so you’ll have some left over for other meals)
- About 3-4 tablespoons of Vegan-friendly butter (we use Smart Balance EVOO spread)
- 2 shallots
- 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic (I buy giant tubs of pre-minced garlic)
- A head of fresh broccoli
- Half a small bag of frozen green beans, or about a cup of fresh cut up green beans
- 2 1/4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- Sesame seeds (optional, but highly recommended)
- Boil 2 cups of vegetable broth with a tablespoon or two of vegan butter.
- Add your couscous and cook according to the package directions.
- While the couscous is standing, use a skillet to heat up 1-2 tablespoons of butter on med-high heat. (I like to use cast iron to increase my daily iron intake; that’s how that works, right? Lol)
- Add the shallots to the pan and saute until they are translucent and have a little bit of golden-brown color.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for about 20 more seconds.
- Toss in your frozen green beans and stir them in until they just start to melt and release some liquid.
- Add your broccoli and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add your 1/4 cup vegetable broth and 1/3 cup soy sauce.
- Continue to cook until excess moisture has cooked off and the broccoli is softened to your liking (about 5 minutes)
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds onto the veggie stir fry and remove from heat.
- Serve over a generous serving of couscous. Add more soy sauce to taste.
Until next time,